Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Busy Making

Since finishing school and moving back I have been busy feverishly trying to be in the business of making!  I not only dedicate a handful of hours each day to creating new work but I have been researching business practices, taking classes and networking.  I will also dedicate more time to adding to this blog.  Not only of my own work but inspiring artists and resources for handmade artists!  One step at a time!

Each day ends up being pretty busy but rewarding!

I have been taking an online class called "Mixed Media from the Heart" by Danita which has helped me loosen up with my painting and another online drawing class called "Learning with Tascha" which has helped me understand the structure of my little cartoonish draw girls.  Both teachers are wonderful artists themselves so please check out their websites!

I was inspired to take these two classes because I love to make characters.  That is why I started making dolls in the first place.  I wasn't confident in my drawing abilities so I went straight to sculpting!  Now I am trying to blend the two.

When we were moving I had to pack up all my doll supplies so I decided to transfer a few sketches and try my hand at embroidery since I could fit all the supplies in my purse!

Well I had a blast embroidering.  It was a nice art piece to be able to work on sitting on the couch with my husband watching a movie before bed!  


However I am still not comfortable drawing.  It takes me ages to be happy with a sketch because something is always a little wonky.  These classes are teaching me to embrace it, own it and move on!


So I am happy to finish working on all the little prompts and assignments in the classes to continue to broaden my artistic skills!   I really do love having these little embroideries in my home but they are up for sale in the etsy shop too!


SNEAK PEEK
Along with a new batch of Day of the Dead Calavera dolls and ornaments heads I decided to make a batch of magnent/broach sized creations.  Obviously there are some robots at the bottom but who knows what the others will turn into!


Sighting
I will be at the Alki Art Fair this weekend (July 28th+29th) located near the BathHouse and sharing a booth with the lovely Deviant Decor.  Come by and see us!


No comments:

Post a Comment